Good morning, everybody! It’s me, Sean Peek, your host of the Douglasville Daily — back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town these days. Keep scrolling for the scoop.
First, today’s weather:
A t-storm around in the p.m. High: 89 Low: 73.
Here are the top five stories today in Douglasville:
- If you’ve watched the latest season of Stranger Things, you may have spotted a little piece of Douglasville as well. The Netflix show has used Atlanta and its surrounding neighborhoods, which offer “the most period-correct, authentic elements” of the 1970s-1980s architecture, for its exterior shots. Case in point: the old city hall here in Douglasville served as the exterior for the Hawkins Police Station. (Showbiz Cheat Sheet)
- The City of Douglasville’s latest Screen on the Green at Fowler Field Park is scheduled for this Friday, Jul. 8 at 7 p.m. This week’s showing will be Disney-Pixar’s Soul. Guests are encouraged to bring their own blankets and lawn chairs. (City of Douglasville)
- A Douglasville football player has committed to Rocky Top for the upcoming school year. Defensive lineman Tyree Weathersby chose Tennessee’s team over the Kentucky Wildcats, the Mississippi State Bulldogs, and the South Carolina Gamecocks. Weathersby has been rated three stars across all services, with the exception of ESPN, where he is not rated. (All for Tennessee)
- Looking for a new job without the long commute? Check out the latest job openings in and around Douglasville. Browse Patch for full-time and part-time opportunities, including some remote work positions. (Douglasville Patch)
- If you’re looking for a new home or just want to see what’s on the market, you won’t want to miss this week’s local real estate roundup, courtesy of Patch and Redfin. Click the link to view pictures, specs, and details on five new houses for sale in and around the Douglasville area. (Douglasville Patch)
Help us make this newsletter better!
We’ve been getting so much positive feedback about the Douglasville Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Want to bring us back down to earth with some constructive feedback? If so, take our simple — and quick! — reader survey. Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and scuttlebutt you really care about. And it will help us toward our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We’d be so appreciative of your feedback that, if you take the survey, we’ll enter your email address in a drawing for a small mountain of Patch swag. You know you want that tote bag — so click the link and give it to us straight. Thank you!
- Virtual Nonprofit Roundtable: Response & Resources, Hosted By Douglas County Chamber (8:15 AM)
- BOC Commission Meeting At Citizens Hall (10:00 AM)
- DIY Eco-Friendly Cleaner At Douglas County Public Library (5:00 PM)
From my notebook:
Thanks for following along and staying informed! See you all tomorrow morning for your next update.
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.